These recipe for soft, vegan Lussekatter ( Swedish saffron buns) or St. Lucia saffron buns. But first, what does lessekatter means? It mean Lucia Cats, comes from the shape of the bun and commonly eating in December on Saint Lucia’s Feast Day. I think these golden, lightly sweet and soft rolls are perfect for a nice Winter cup of tea.
ST.LUCIA SAFFRON BUNS INGREDIENTS:
Flour: all-purpose, pastry or type 00.
Yeast: fresh or dry.
Sugar: cane sugar.
Saffron: saffron threads.
Oil: canola oil.
Milk: almond milk.
Other recipes to try:
St. Lucia Saffron Buns
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 50 ml water
- 1 pinch saffron strains
- 7 g dry yeast
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Mix warm milk and yeast (to activate yeast). Add warm water to saffron (let it infuse for 10-15min).
- Add sugar and oil.
- Soak raisins in the water.
- Add flour gradually, saffron water and salt. Knead the dough for 10-15 min.
- Cower the bowl and let it rest for 30 min.
- Cut your dough into equal pieces (approx. 50g each) and into sausage shape each piece. Curl both of the ends for each piece, place on a baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel for 15min.
- Preheat the oven 365F.
- Bake 365F 10-12min until golden brown. (prior baking brush each piece with vegan cream and place raisins on each side of the bun)
If you tried these Vegan Saffron Buns recipe or any other recipe on the blog let me know by leaving comment below! Follow along Youtube, Instagram and Pinterest for even more recipes!
All comments are moderated before appearing on the site. Thank you!