This Vegan French Onion Soup (soupe à l’oignon) is a timeless classic full of caramelized onion flavor! It’s vegan, gluten-free and one pot dish.
MY LATEST VIDEO
VEGAN FRENCH ONION SOUP
This soup made of simple cupboard ingredients and rich in color and flavor! You just need to be patient because it will take time to fully caramelized onions into a deep brown color, but trust me, you will ended up with hearty and delicious soup!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN FRENCH ONION SOUP
First, caramelize the onions (with vegan butter). It is one of the most important step to make a French onion soup because caramelized onions are what gives the soup it’s beautiful aroma and brown color. To fully caramelized onions you will need about 1 hour to 1,5 hours (the most important your onions should be caramelized not burn because if you heat it to high, the onions will burn).
Next, you will need to add flour and as you keep whisking you will add 150 ml of vegetable broth. Then, add 1,5l of vegetable broth and let the soup simmer for 20-25 minutes.
And finally, toast the bread (baguette or white bread of your choice). Top it with grated vegan cheese (any type of your choice) and bake it 365F until it melts (partially or fully).
VEGAN FRENCH ONION SOUP TIPS
- You can use white, yellow or red onions, however, to make it traditional way, you will need to use yellow onions.
- Slice your onions and garlic thinly. It will give a nice texture to the soup.
- You can refregirate the soup for up to 2 days.
- As for the bread: you can use baguette or white bread (any of your choice).
Other recipes to try:
I hope you will love these Vegan French Onion Soup because it’s:
One pot dish
Full of flavor
and absolutely delicious!
Vegan French Onion Soup
- 1,5 kg onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp flour
- 50 g vegan butter
- 1.7 l vegetable broth
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tbsp vegan cheese
- Heat the butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic (thinly sliced), reduce the heat at cook for 1-1,5 hrs until golden brown (stirring often).
- Add flour and keep stirring, then add 150ml ov vegetable broth. Stir for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1,5 l of vegatble broth, salt and pepper and let if simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook bread with a toaster.
- Preheat the oven 365F.
- Place the bread slices, topped with cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
If you tried these Vegan French Onion Soup recipe or any other recipe on the blog let me know by leaving comment below! Follow along Youtube, Instagram and Pinterest for even more recipes!
PIN FOR LATER!
All comments are moderated before appearing on the site. Thank you!