Todays recipe is for delicious festive main dish – vegan wellington. Trust me, your friends and family at Christmas table will love these amazing dish.
CHRISTMAS VEGAN WELLINGTON INGREDIENTS:
Butter: vegan butter (store bought or homemade)
Sugar: cane sugar
Flour: all-purpose, pastry, 00 or gluten-free types (I used these flour)
Mushroom: mini portobello mushroom
Chestnuts (I used these chestnuts)
Lentils: french lentils (I used these lentils)
Thyme: fresh thyme
Flour Slurry: 1 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp water
EGG WASH Q&A
What is egg wash?
Egg wash is a liquid brushed onto the surface of pastry before baking.
Types of egg wash
- Beaten egg with a pinch of salt (traditional).
- Beaten egg with a little bit of milk or cream (traditional).
- Non-dairy milk and maple syrup (vegan).
- Non-dairy milk and oil (grape-seed, canola or coconut) (vegan).
- Black tea (vegan).
- 90 g vegan butter
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 180 g flour
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 bulb sweet onion
- 1/4 cup mushroom
- 1 cup frrench lentils
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp vegetable boulion
- 1/4 cup chestnut
- 2 pcs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2-3 tbsp fresh water
- Mix butter (room temperature), sugar,salt, flour and turmeric. Add gradually water to make a dough.
- Wrap, leave in the fridge for 1hr.
- Blend with a high speed blender onion, mushroom, chestnut and garlic.
- Heat a saucepan, then add blended mixture, cookes lentils, thyme and vegetable boulion.
- Add flour slurry and fry until soft and dry.
- Let the filling coll completely before assembling.
- Preheat the oven 365F.
- Roll out the pastry between two sheets of parchment paper. Then add filling in the middle and lift the pastry towards the center of the Wellington. Fold the ends, then carefully place the Welligton onto a baking sheet.
- Bake 30-35min until golden brown.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I really love and trust!